Many search for how to write an application letter in Nigeria daily with the excitement to see a simple application letter sample for any vacant position. Well, we will be sharing some samples and teaching you how to write your own for FREE.
How cool is that?
Do you know that a simple job application letter free from grammatical errors and selecting the proper use of words to stir up the right emotions gives you an upper edge in securing any job vacancy in Nigeria?
Oh yeah, that is sure, a lot of job applicants are still looking for a job and find it hard to write an application letter for a job vacancy in Nigeria.
While many have been asking a series of questions like what is a job application letter, how do I write a Job application letter, how to write the best application letter for a job vacancy?
A lot of job seekers and applicants may not know that the possible reason they were denied a job applied for was the way he/she presented their application letter.
When writing an application letter for a job vacancy in Nigeria, you should follow the important tips shared in today’s post.
Before sending or submitting your letter, you should ensure your resume is ready and is at hand, then attach your application and send to your company or employer.
But, to win over the hearts of the employer or hiring manager, your application letter should be well prepared and written in an interesting manner.
So, today in this article, I would be sharing the complete step by step tips and guide on how to write an application letter for a Job Vacancy in Nigeria before sending to the employer.
Cover Letter or Cover Letter as most people call it is meant to be a straightforward content and should be short and precise.
It is a form of formal letter, you need not add too may greeting or beating around the bush of any sort.
These are some working tips that works when writing your letter, try as much to make it more genius so as to captivate every attention of the employer.
Plus, try as much to put yourself in the same place as the hiring manager or employer who would receive the letter and then evaluate yourself to see how it goes.
Basic Steps On How To Write An Application Letter in Nigeria
Firstly, you need to position your contact address and Phone number at the very top of the letter.
When writing your application letter, ensure it is specific and concise, using at most 4-5 paragraphs.
Let’s check out some of the paragraphs outlined below and what content is needed to br written in each.
- First Paragraph: This is obviously the opening paragraph of your letter. Here you need to introduce yourself to the employer;
This can be down by giving a brief introduction of yourself while adding where you hail from and maybe the institution you attended.
Plus, add the position you want to apply for as well as the means through which you got to view the job advertisement.
Then, in this same paragraph of this simple job application letter, you can mention the details of your attached files, curriculum vitae (CV) and resume.
- Second Paragraph: This is the paragraph two which I term “selling yourself”. Yes, in this second paragraph you need to explain convincingly why you need the job.
So, dive into details of why you picked the position of the job you applied for along with your skills and experiences gathered.
Additionally, posting out extra potentials you can deliver to the company and what makes you the best candidate to be selected.
This paragraph is opened for you to sell yourself and the qualities you possess, but try to make it interesting and brief as possible.
- Third Paragraph: This is the 3rd stage of your letter where you get to let the your employer or company know about your values, competencies, special power and importance to the firm.
What you need to do here is to outline shortly how important an asset you will be to the organization and what benefits they stand to enjoy amongst others.
You will as well provide them with every possible reason why your application should be treated and regarded with immediately with absolute consideration.
- Last Paragraph: Now this is the last or fourth paragraph and I choose to call it the Closing paragraph.
In this stage, you only need mention your available days for work, just in case you are shortlisted to come for an interview.
Plus, you are permitted to disclose the days you are not mostly available, therefore making the employer to know on time on how you plan to go about it
So, this will help you avoid any incident that may deny or cost you an interview.
Tips To Keep In Mind When Writing an Application Letter
Now, that you know how to write an application letter in Nigeria, let’s check out some tips in mind when writing your letter.
Here are some main keynotes and guides to follow and remember when constructing your application letter.
- Avoid Writing an Epistle: Yes, this is perhaps the most important tip you should not forget. An application letter is not a letter you write to friends and family,
So, the primary purpose of this letter is to attach it along with your resume of which your resume is already bearing more of your details
Re-writing or having a long letter all that is already contained in your resume could cost you an interview. Simply keep it short, simple, and captivating – SSC!
- Avoid Spelling Errors: Before sending out or submitting your application letter, always cross-check your spellings.
This can be done through the use of a spell checker on Microsoft Word or GRAMMARLY . Please note that these apps do not guarantee 100% grammar free ability – Please proof-read and check for corrections on your errors, grammar and spelling omissions after typing:
- Prevent the use of big Grammar: Avoid the use of too many big grammars or slang’s when writing your cover letter.
Kindly use simple English instead and go straight to the point then focus on the primary subject of the letter, thereby avoiding flowerily language.
- Direct the Application to the Company and its Job: Avoid writing only one application letter in a large form to use as a draft and be forwarding to many organizations.
It is not appropriate, you should write an application letter targeting each job and focus on the firm’s job vacancy.
- Typed Application letter: By default, you are required to type your application letter, unless if there is a request for a handwritten letter.
If a typed application is demanded, simply type and print it out then attach your CV or resume with it before submission.
When typing, the font should be a default font and official in nature. The widely recognized font to use is “Times New Roman” and use font size as “12”.
- Email Application letter: Nowadays one can easily apply for jobs online by attaching your resume or (C.V) to a mail and type your cover letter with it.
This part of how to write an application letter in Nigeria shows us that you don’t need to write too long a letter as if you are writing to your best friend, instead keep it brief and once you are done writing, hit the SEND button on the mail.
Part of Job application letter
Here’s a fast breakdown on the main parts in a job application letter:
Job seeker’s contact address (your address)
|22 Objda Street,
1st June, 2021.
Your employer’s contact address
|The Human Resources Manager,
Ndubusi Farms Plc,
- Salutation – This is your polite greeting. The most common salutation is “Dear sir/Madam,
- Heading – The heading contains the post you’re applying for.
|Application for A Post of Gateman in Your Home|
|Application for Post of A Product Manager in your Company|
|Application for A Post of Accountant in your Firm|
|Application for a Post of Computer Operator in JoeTech|
Body of the Application letter – You can think of this part as being three distinct parts with a conclusion.
- In the first paragraph, state the job role you are applying for, the date and where you saw the job advert.
- The next paragraph(s) are the most crucial and technical part of your letter. This is where you’ll share those relevant details on your qualifications, accomplishments, and work experience.
- The third and conclusion part of the body of the letterwill be your thank you to the employer; you can also offer follow-up information.
- Complimentary Close – Sign off your application letter with a polite close, such as “Yours sincerely” or “Yours faithfully”.
- Signature – End with your application letter signature, handwritten, followed by your typed name. If this is an email, simply include your typed name, followed by your contact information.
Samples or Examples of Job Application Letter
Here are some Job Application Letters samples that might guide you;
SAMPLE I of Job Application Letters
151 Dorex Road,
2nd May 2020.
The Human Resources Manager,
Zenith Bank Plc,
Shittu Road Owerri,
APPLICATION FOR THE POST OF RESOURCE MANAGER
I write in response to your advertisement in the SunNews Newspaper of January 8th 2020 for the post Assisting Manager. I graduated from University of Lagos, Akoka with a degree in Project Management (2nd Class Honours, Upper Division). In addition, I have a master degree in Banking and Finance, Professional Qualification in (ICAN) and many years of cognate experience.
I understand that this post require a candidate with a strong analytical mind, ability to foster relationships amongst staffs, a self starter who must be able to work with little supervision. I possess these attributes and they have served me well in the past ensuring my rapid promotion by my previous employers.
I would appreciate an opportunity to interview with you and demonstrate to you first hand that I am an excellent fit for this position
Kindly contact me at the above address or through my phone number 081271190—., Attached are photocopies of my credentials for your perusal. Thank you for your consideration.
SAMPLE II of Job Application Letters
3 Allen Avenue,
26th August 2020.
The managing Director,
ShinaRambo Investment Nigeria Limited,
Gonjo Street, Garki II,
APPLICATION FOR POST OF SALE EXECUTIVE
I humbly wish to apply for the position of Sales Executive which was advertised in the Dailytrend Newspaper dated 6th Decemeber, 2019. I graduated from University of Ilorin, Kwara, with a degree in Marketing (2nd Class Honours, Upper Division). Plus, I have a master degree in Business Administration.
I had nine (9) years experiences in the sales departments of two well-established companies. My duties at Innoson Plastic Limited include training sales staff, dealing with the company’s foreign correspondence, and organizing market research and sales promotion programmes. I thoroughly enjoy my work and am very happy here, but feel that my experience in marketing has proposed me for the responsibility of full sales Executive.
Mr. John Wealth, Sales Executive of my former company, has agreed to provide a reference for me. His details are shown on my curriculum vitae. I shall be pleased to provide any further information you may need, and hope I may be given the opportunity of an interview.
SAMPLE III of Job Application Letter
At times, learning to know how to write an application letter in Nigeria also means that some companies might ask that you send your application letter to their email address. And when this is required, you’re not expected to use the format(s) shared above.
Here is a sample of an email “Job Application Letter”
Subject: Coding and Web designer position – Jose Mourinho
Dear Hiring Manager,
I write to express my interest in the Coding and Web Designer position listed on writedly.com
Your descriptions of the work responsibilities that are required of your next coding and web designer position closely match my experience, and I am excited to submit my resume to you for your consideration.
In my position as a programmer for Gambit Web Tech Company, I updated and expanded existing programs. I also wrote programs in a variety of computer languages, such as PHP, C++ and Java.
Additionally, I designed websites for some well-known brands in Nigeria and built computer-assisted software engineering (CASE) tools to automate the writing of some code.
My resume is attached. If I can provide you with any further information on my qualifications and background, please let me know.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you for your favourable consideration.
Address: 22 Clinton Street, Ikorodu-Lagos State, Nigeria.
Email; [email protected]
Phone number: 070345xxx00
Summary Of How To Write A Cover Letter / Job Application Letter
- Begin by penning down your contact information at top of the page.
- Your application letter should be addressed to title or a name with contact information.
- Express your interest in the first paragraph. State where you found the position, date and how you’ll be of great asset to the employer.
4 The second and third paragraph should be a summary of your abilities, qualifications, and experience.
- Conclude with an explicit one-sentence summary of why you’re the perfect candidate for the job.
- Invite the human resources manager to contact you (if you like).
- End the application letter with Complimentary Close message (Yours faithfully, is best)
- Sign off appropriately, and write your name (in full).
- Check to see if content is written in clear English and well organized.
- Proofread your application letter.
How To Follow Up On A Job Application Letter
Ok, so you now know how to write an application letter in Nigeria, what is next? Here is how to follow up on a job application letter in Nigeria.
How many times have you received “silence” after sending your application letter and CV to an email office upon requirement? More often than not, right?
Not getting a prompt reply can be disheartening. However, it would do you no good to just sit, cross your leg and wait for a reply that might never come.
So, if after sending your application letter or CV for a week or two after the end of application letter submission; you do not get a response from the hiring manager, go ahead and follow-up your application.
And with this we come to and end on our guide on how to write an Application Letter for Job Vacancy in Nigeria.
Now, you have the needed tips and guidelines to follow in writing a perfect application letter for the job vacancy.
So, visit any job site and find a vacancy that interest you most, write an application letter using all the steps listed above in this post and apply for a Job.